Monday 25 March 2013

Cumuli: Working in 3D


Now that all the concept art is done it is time to build the environments in 3D. The first step was to block out the shapes within the space and see how the concept translates into 3D


3D corridor model by Tiago Faria



 Unfortunately, as you can see by the render above, the corridor seemed very repetitive which resulted in me going back to the drawing board so that I could really push for the whole idea of 'art deco'.




Ideas for art deco on walls of corridor


After sketching out the above designs I wanted to actually make some of them in 3D and start implementing them into the scene.






Art Deco and new machine


After making the place look a little more art deco I started finalising the scene. Below are a few progression shots of the development of the corridor:


First draft corridor


Second draft corridor


Finished corridor

I am not quite sure how I feel about the last render. Although I will go into this in a bit more detail our project idea changed and this environment was no longer was going to be used. I am quite happy with how it looks considering that the only things which have a custom texture are the lights and the central floor. Everything else was made using the ProMaterials and adjusting the metal presets.

 Next are the central cathedral and Queen's inner chambers. I started off with the power extracting machine based on the concept art. It was quite easy making it purely because I was the one who came up with teh concept so I knew exactly what I wanted.
3D build of machine concept



Below are some renders detailing the progression of the cathedral. I built the supports and the central chamber first so I could properly gauge the scale of the space.



Initial 3D Cathedral built by Tiago Faria



 After building the central machine I decided to take over the making of the cathedral space purely because it was a rather comples scene and I knew exactly what I wanted so I let Tiago work on the second corridor and started remodelling the cathedral:


Getting the initial proportions of the scene right







More polished version of the cathedral


Cathedral AO Render


Queen's Chambers
This is about as far as I got with the environments before our story took a complete turn around. Although I had to scrap the corridor I made it meant I was able to concentrate on a single environment - the cathedral. I will talk more about this in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment