Thursday 12 September 2013

Environment Maps and Compositing

So seeing as I am going to be starting my masters in January and it will be based on visual effects, not just modelling, I have finally gotten around to exploring this subject further.

I have a tablet, and one day I discovered that it had the ability to effectively make a 360degree photo. Although the end result is not 100% perfect, some minor adjustments in photoshop will fix any issues one might have.

Today I decided to use this feature and make a 360 degree image and also a still so I have a background to composite onto.

Now, none of the material you are about to see is refined in any way and the colours are completely off, but it is just to show that this is a very quick way to start off on a 3D-into-photo integration.


 As you can see the images were quick snapshots. These were not edited in photoshop so remained pretty much just as blue as they are now. Well the environment image is not so blue but still, the point is they are mismatched.



Ok and here is the test I did using a simple chrome sphere. I also did not get the direction of the sun quite right or the colour temperature...or the shadow colour. But anwyay the point is that this is a stepping stone and based on this I plan to composite the mitsubishi I modelled into my driveway. I have to say, I am quite excited to see how it will turn out.


Here are two more environment maps created the same way as the first one:





No comments:

Post a Comment