Wednesday 12 March 2014

Tires!

So, after about a month of Maya tuition, I am starting to update my blog again. In our tuition we have gone through modelling, unwrapping, texturing, shading, and we have started doing rigging. I have been working on some side projects which I haven't been to upload onto here but I will do so once I have permission.

For now, I have been working on tires for the Mitsubishi I modeled over the summer. Since I have been learning Maya, I decided to make the tire in Maya!

So, below, in the first image, I have modeled just one piece of the tire. This was modeled in the top down view and was based on the 4th design from the left, on the left screen. The key thing to remember is that the pattern HAS to be tile-able for later on. So, bearing that in mind, I selected the smallest piece of the pattern I needed to. To make life even easier for myself, I only modeled half of the tire as it is perfectly symmetrical on the left and the right.




The next stage is duplicating the piece I have modeled and making an approximate amount of copies which would then be made to revolve and make a wheel. This number is quite arbitrary and simply determines how many times you want the piece of the pattern to revolve (and create the final shape of the wheel).

The image below is the finished product with all vertices merged.



Below are a slightly different set of tires which I had made previously for the Mitsubishi. I chose a slightly simpler and 'bulkier' design to make them look more like off road tires.




After modelling the tire I decided that it needs some really nice alloys; and while I was at that, I decide it would be a good idea to challenge myself a bit (plus I wanted to model some really cool looking alloys).

Below you can see some progress images. I started off in Maya but I ran into problems when it came to constraining multiple edges all around the tire, so I continued the workflow in Max.




I have to be honest, half the reason I decided to do the alloy in Max is because Max is simply a much better 3D package when it comes to modelling (among other things).

Below is the finished result rendered out with a wireframe.

No comments:

Post a Comment