Sunday 27 October 2013

Bass Culture Artwork

I was recently contacted by Tomb, the artist I had previously made an album cover for to his EP "Momentum". This time around he asked me to come up with a design for a radio show he is doing (the desing will be used to promote the channel on facebook/youtube/twitter). The channel is going to be called Bass Culture where Tomb will talk about and play a combination of liquid drum and bass and dubstep tacks.

The only advise I was given by the artist was that he wanted something that was black and white and had the words Bass Culture written on it. As you can imagine that wasn't much to go on so I went out in search of images online. I got a few ideas before I decide to go out on a photo shoot. Here are some of the images I chose to use as a starting point for the design.


























I really liked the roots of the tree and thought I could do something with that. At first I changed the levels and saturation so that the grain within the roots stood out more so that I could play around with it perhaps.


After some experimentation I tried a different approach and below is what I came up with:



From this point on it was a matter or adding or removing bits to add to the design as I saw fit. Below are a variety of designs I ended up with:





As I said above, there were just SOME of the designs I came up with. After looking through all the possible outcomes I decided to go with this design:


 After ironing out some final issues I had with the design, this is what the finished product looks like:


No comments:

Post a Comment